I just finished up with a head painting class I took over the first summer block with Peter Sakievich (good guy and VERY talented) and I thought I would share with you the method in which he taught the class. I enjoyed the class very much and I liked how he eased us into using multiple colors and felt it wasn't overwhelming at all in this way. I would highly recommend this method to any of you who would like to try painting portraits.
Peter had us use Canson Canva paper for all of our assignments in and out of class. We were to put 2-3 coats of shellac on the paper so that the oils wouldn't sink in but lay on top instead. He assigned us homework which typically consisted of four 1 hour paintings per week. For those that know me, you know that I don't know what an hour is so my homework assignments that I will post will be roughly around three hours or so. I never really timed them. I started painting and thought to myself "okay just one hour Cyndi" but then I became immersed in the painting and, well, all the time restraints went out the window. I think Peter chose the 1 hour time mark because he wanted us to get a feel of the oils and he wanted to see how we laid down the colors. The paintings weren't supposed to be a finished piece of art but just the beginnings. Most of my images I will post will be my homework assignments because I find them more interesting than a non emotive face staring at a blank wall. I will however, post some of the live portraits of the models we used.
|"wipe out" method|
After we worked on this method for a week we moved on to using two colors. (Shown below)
|"two color" method|
Then we moved on to three colors (below).
Everything fell apart when we went to four colors. Just by adding a yellow to the mix caused me considerable struggles and frustrations. Luckily, I wasn't the only one who had a hard time with the four colors. The rest of the class was struggling as well so Peter left us on this pallet for several weeks. Thank goodness!!!
After several weeks with this pallet, Peter suggested we try adding in some bright colors as well. He suggested Indian Yellow or Cadmium Yellow, Ultramarine Blue or Cobalt Blue, and Cadmium Red or Perylene Red. I tied some Cad Yellow in some of my paintings and then some Indian Yellow in others. I added Ultramarine Blue to my pallet and have yet to try the Cobalt Blue. I leaned more toward the Perylene Red instead of the Cad Red, but I liked them both. The paintings below include the "dead pallet" colors with a few of the brights.
|"dead pallet" with some brights|
I didn't get as far on Frankie as I had hoped. We started late because of the lack of model and I believe that day we were required to show Peter some of our work or maybe I was just having a slow day. One or the other. Idk.
For our final, we were required to paint another self portrait. Our first self portrait for the class was done in the beginning when we were just using the wipe out method, but for this self portrait we were to paint two images of us using just a mirror (not photos) showing two sides of our personality. We could use as many colors as we wanted. Below is my final. The left image shows my expression to Peter as he tells us we have more homework and the right image shows my expression after leaving my last class at the beginning of summer break. Ahhhhhhh!!!!